Hanley Law is small by choice. Unlike many high-rise law firms, staying small enables us to provide personalized and responsive service. We never forget that we’re in practice to solve our clients’ problems.
Small Firm. Big Results
Hanley Law is a boutique law firm located in Northern California’s San Jose and sunny San Diego, California. Founded by Daniel E. Hanley in 1974, his son, Sean S. Hanley, joined the firm as a fellow attorney in 2007 and has continued and expanded the firm since Dan’s passing in 2013. Unlike many of the larger firms, Hanley Law is small by design. Our practice is built on helping our clients in both San Jose and San Diego, achieve their goals with personalized and responsive representation.
We believe it’s good business to put our clients’ needs first. Whether its Estate Planning, Real Estate Law to Tax law and probate and trust administration, we use a sensible approach that’s customized to your situation. Having offices in San Jose and San Diego, we are able to provide a truly local service in both locations, tapping into the connections and relationships we have built over the last half-century.
45+ Years of Firm Existence
Formed over forty-five years ago, Hanley Law offers a breadth of knowledge and individualized attention that you simply won’t find at a large firm. Experience has taught us that every situation is unique. We also know that working on a legal matter can be stressful. That’s why we take the time to get to know our clients and counsel them on making smart decisions regarding their future. We’re in business to help individuals, families, and businesses make the best legal choices available. Whether you’re located in San Jose or San Diego, together we’ll make a plan that works for you.
The Benefits of In-Depth Knowledge
Deciding to hire a law firm is a big decision, and our clients appreciate the breadth of knowledge we offer. Sean Hanley has a broad professional background with a strong emphasis in taxes and accounting. This background enables Sean to understand the legal and financial aspects involved in real estate transactions, creating an estate plan, handling a probate, or administering a trust.
Practicing law since 2007, Sean Hanley specializes in the ever-changing laws related to real estate, business, and estate planning. Embracing technology with a focus on personalized service, he understands the challenges of living and thriving in Silicon Valley.
Using his education in economics and business administration, Sean Hanley serves on the non-profit Willow Glen Business Association which is dedicated to the business development of its members.
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California, 2006
Honors: Dean’s List
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, 2001
Bachelor of Arts in Economics with Business Administration emphasis
Honors: Dean’s List
- Board Member, Willow Glen Business Association
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Solo and Small Firm Section Member
- Law Practice Management & Technology Section Member
- Real Property Section Member
- Trusts & Estates Section Member
- Silicon Valley Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Northern District Federal Court Member
Areas of Practice
The saying you can’t avoid death and taxes is an apt one as estate planning deals with both.
Effective estate planning helps individuals and families retain control over their financial and medical affairs during life (even if incapacitated) and after death. A key feature of an estate plan is to minimize taxes when property is distributed to beneficiaries, which eliminates the stress and costs associated when courts get involved.
Estate planning helps individuals and families minimize taxes when property is distributed to heirs. It also outlines specific plans with regard to health directives, powers of attorney, as well as how a trust is administered.
Whether you need a living trust or help in updating one, Hanley Law has the in-depth expertise you need to make sure your loved ones are protected and cared for. Our estate planning services include:
- Estate Plans – creating new ones or revising and amending old ones
- Wills & Living Trusts (Irrevocable, Revocable. Special Needs)
- Asset Protection/Probate Avoidance
- Special needs trusts
- Inheriting Property
- Elder Law and Qualifying for Medi-Cal
- Powers of attorney (financial/durable powers of attorney & advance health care directives)
- Probate Administration
- Trust Administration
Real Estate Law
Owning property in California can be complex. Sometimes, you just need specialized and honest real estate advice from a trusted legal professional who also understands estate planning. That’s why we have two California locations to serve you: San Jose and San Diego.
Real estate law runs the gamut from ownership or leasing agreements to 1031 exchanges to simple real estate purchasing or selling transactions. Regardless of your need, Hanley Law has a broad and deep knowledge of real estate law, including:
- Distressed properties like foreclosure, short sales, and deed in lieu foreclosure
- Residential & Commercial leasing agreement
- Eviction and unlawful detainer representing both landlords & tenants
- Real Estate transactions for buyers and sellers
- Joint ownership agreements like tenants in common
- Partnership Agreements and Joint Ventures for real estate investments
- Titling, vesting or deed disputes
Is this your business?
Claim listing is the best way to manage and protect your business